American Red Cross helping out after tornadoes hit the South
The Red Cross is helping out in any way possible to aid the victims of this weekend’s devastating tornadoes in the South. Many states were hit with the deadly weather including Mississippi, Texas, Louisiana, Alabama, Tennessee and South Carolina. The Red Cross is providing shelter, amenities, and food to families left homeless by the storms. The following are tips on how to stay safe during this time:
* Stay out of damaged buildings.
* Use battery-powered flashlights when examining buildings—do NOT use candles.
* If someone smells gas or hears a blowing or hissing noise, open a window and get everyone out of the building quickly and call the gas company or fire department.
* Take pictures of damage, both of the building and its contents, for insurance claims.
* Use the telephone only for emergency calls.
* Keep all family pets under your direct control.
* Clean up spilled medications, bleaches, gasoline or other flammable liquids that could become a fire hazard.