Are you prepared if a disaster strikes? Spread the word and start with the basics!
Just as school started, we saw the effects of hurricane Isaac affecting the lives of many. Thankfully, some warning was given before the hurricane made landfall to help people be somewhat prepared for this type of disaster. Have you taken the time to reflect on disasters that could strike your own community or school? Are you, your friends, family and school prepared for these disasters?
The American Red Cross provides many resources to help you be prepared – help spread the word on how to be prepared to everyone you know. For starters, go over the Be Red Cross Ready Checklist:
1. I know what emergencies or disasters are most likely to occur in my community.
2. I have a family disaster plan and have practiced it.
3. I have an emergency preparedness kit.
4. At least one member of my household is trained in first aid and CPR/AED.
5. I have taken action to help my community prepare.
More information can be found here: http://www.redcross.org/prepare
Here is a link for a Family Disaster Plan Template:
Anna Bevington Drenning