Participate in the IFRC Volunteer for Change Challenge
Learn more at https://innovation.nfte.com/challenges/red-cross
Convert your energy into impact! Create a unique tablet or smart phone app that promotes volunteerism for a more caring society and a better world.
Develop an app for a smart phone/tablet to encourage people of all ages in your community to volunteer – focus on new technologies for online and micro- volunteering. Your app or tool should also be able to be posted on the Red Cross and Red Crescent (RCRC) Learning Platform at http://www.ifrc.org/learning-platform
Micro-volunteering is a form of virtual volunteering: a task done by a volunteer, or a team of volunteers, either online via an internet-connected device, including smartphones, or offline in small increments of time. It typically takes only minutes or a few hours to complete, and does not require an ongoing commitment by the volunteer.
INNOVATION THEME IDEAS
- Get engaged in online and micro-volunteering opportunities
- Cooperate inter-generationally
- Link new technology to their entrepreneurial project ideas
- Cooperate with partners on a local, national and regional level
- Include a variety of different groups, especially remembering those who are not connected to internet
- Develop and provide training opportunities in soft skills like: confidence building, empathy, communication, critical thinking, teamwork, understanding of contexts, achieving results, and managing oneself in a changing environment.
- Find new ways to use their individual talents to improve their home communities
The International Federation of Red Cross & Red Crescent Societies is the world´s largest volunteer based humanitarian network, working in communities all over the world. In 2014 Red Cross Red Crescent still appears to attract an impressive number of volunteers, currently estimated at 17 million people. However it is also clear that volunteering will be changing and challenging in the future. We are already seeing important changes in our own work with volunteers and their communities: volunteers have diverse motivations are harder to retain; communities are more diverse and their challenges more complex.
Key issues include:
- Globalization, technology and direct action
- Online engagement
- Education and training
- Leadership development
Volunteering will always be crucial for a well-functioning society, not only to benefit the community but also as an attitude and mind-set for citizens of all ages.